Managing Your Mental Health
HR has collected mental health resources to help you manage our ups and downs. Our VPFO HR staff is always available for a confidential conversation.
Facilitated courses from Central HR this week:
- Self-care 101 facilitated seminar, October 21
- Mindful Parents, Resilient Children: How mindfulness & self-compassion can support families during times of uncertainty, October 22 (free sign-up to MindWellU required)
On demand courses and resources available to you:
- Problematic substance use intervention pilot program available at UBC
- Overcoming Burnout (on-demand webinar available to October, 31)
- Wellbeing in the Workplace
- Self-Care 101 (Self-Guided Webinar)
Last week’s updates from UBC
- October 16: President’s Blog: Weekly Update: October 16, 2020
Updates on UBC’s response to COVID-19 are at covid19.ubc.ca.
Building Operations, Energy & Water and Infrastructure Development
- Shutdown freeze (Oct. 26-Nov.2): As part of the Planon transition, please do not enter any shut down requests between Oct. 26-Nov.2. Approved shutdowns with a start and end date before Nov. 2 will go ahead as planned. Approved shutdowns with an end date after Nov. 2 will be transferred into Planon.
- Urgent service requests only (Oct. 19-Nov. 2) : Starting this week until Nov. 2, Building Operations’ Service Centre will only process and respond to urgent requests. For more information, visit the Building Operations website.
- Water main break repaired: The 16th avenue water main on University Endowment Lands (UEL), one of two water mains that provide water to the UBC campus, has been repaired. For more information visit the Energy & Water Services website.
Comptroller, Finance & Operational Excellence and Treasury
- Changes to JV Excel Uploads: The Enterprise Interface Builder (EIB) in Workday will allow certain users to create mass uploads. Information about EIBs and templates are now available on the Finance website.
- Changes to Overseas Vendor Payments and Wire Transfers: Review information about how Workday impacts overseas vendor payments, incoming wires and EFT, and other information relating to inbound funds on the Finance website.
- New Agreement with Canada Post: UBC has signed two new agreements with Canada Post Smart Mail and Parcel Services, which will mean discounted rates for many users.
- Hyperion 2.0: Slides and recordings from the first four Hyperion 2.0 workshops are now available on the UBC Finance website.
Integrated Renewal Program, Application Ecosystem Program and the Integrated Service Centre
- Reminder – Upcoming call-in sessions: The following IRP call-in sessions are open for registration:
- Review IRP Toolkits: The IRP team has prepared a variety of toolkits to help us get ready for go-live, including resources for managers and all staff.
Operations & Advising
Communications & Engagement, Human Resources, and Safety & Risk Services
- VPFO HR on-site support schedule this week:
- October 19: Sonia Lachar, Kasia Burza
- October 20: Arvind Kang, Gregor Macdonald
- October 21: Sonia Lachar, Rachel Lau
- October 22: Matt Furgal, Kasia Burza
- October 23: Gregor Macdonald
- COVID-19 Safety Plan Onsite Review Program: This summer SRS launched a program to evaluate COVID-19 safety measures to ensure buildings on campus provide appropriate information and resources to campus users. Reviews continue, with upcoming visits to the Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Sauder School of Business, Faculty of Applied Science and a number of hospital sites containing UBC students and staff.
- BC Provincial Election Debate: Last week the BC Provincial Election Debate was hosted at UBC’s Chan Centre. SRS team members came together to ensure the event could take place in a safe and secure manner by conducting a thorough review of the COVID-19 safety plan ahead of the event and providing security services before, during and after it.
Other notable updates
PREVIEW UBC’S SELF-SERVICE PORTAL
Starting November 2, Workday support can be accessed using the new UBC Self-Service Portal. To learn more about using the portal for help, take a moment to watch the following short videos:
- Familiarize yourself with the portal, watch here
- Learn how to search the knowledge bases, watch here
- Learn how to submit a ticket, watch here
The Integrated Service Centre (ISC) will be your point of contact for Workday, Finance, and HR queries, with some exceptions. For example, confidential or sensitive HR queries should continue to be directed to HR. If you are a departmental administrator supporting HR or Finance tasks, continue to work directly with your existing contact in HR or Finance. For additional guidance and common examples of where to access support, please see the ISC Support Cheat Sheet.
UBC VIRTUAL SHAKEOUT DRILL
Last Thursday was the Great BC ShakeOut, where people from across our province, and the world, practice earthquake safety. The SRS team held UBC’s first Virtual ShakeOut Drill via Zoom to help members the UBC Community prepare their homes for an emergency. If you were unable to attend, you can watch the recording and find supporting information at ready.ubc.ca.
GETTING YOUR ANNUAL FLU SHOT
It’s flu season and time for your annual flu shot! Due to a nationwide shortage of vaccine this year, the regular Vancouver campus clinics will not be taking place. Vaccinations on the Okanagan campus will still be available, and you can find more information here.
You can find more information about other clinics on or near the Vancouver campus on the UBC HR website, as well as clinics across BC on the ImmunizeBC website. Please note, if you do not qualify for a free flu shot, you might be eligible for vaccine coverage through your UBC Extended Health coverage.
Some interesting news articles people have found informative or helpful at work. These are provided for information and entertainment only. Unless noted, UBC doesn’t specifically endorse or supply this content.
- With two elections underway — one we can all vote in and one most of us just have to watch — Arthur Brooks has some advice from The Atlantic: reading too much political news is bad for your well-being.
Have an article for your peers? Email email@example.com.