Updates from UBC
- September 9: UBC Bulletin: Learn about IRP Student at a Sept. 29 virtual town hall
- September 9: President’s Update: Do Your Part: Declare Your Vaccination Status
Updates on UBC’s response to COVID-19 are at covid19.ubc.ca.
Managing your mental health
HR has collected mental health resources to help you manage your ups and downs. Our VPFO HR staff is always available for a confidential conversation.
- Self-guided: Self and Community Care: Building skills to manage stress
- Self-guided: Wellbeing in the Workplace
- September 14: Supporting Resilient Teams: Recognizing and managing burnout (For Leaders & Managers)
- September 23 & 29: The Working Mind Virtual: Mental Health Training for Faculty & Staff
- September 24: QPR Suicide Intervention Training
- September 24: Feeling Safe and Engaged: Returning to the Workplace – Facilitated Webinar
- September 28: Strengthening Resilience
Building Operations, Energy & Water Services and Infrastructure Development
- New projects approved by UBC Board of Governors: The Food and Beverage Innovation Centre received Board 1 approval and The Gallery received Board 1+2 approvals in the September Board Committee meetings. Learn more
Comptroller, Finance & Operational Excellence and Treasury
- New September employee payment date: A reminder that with the introduction of the new National Day for Truth and Reconciliation Statutory Holiday on September 30, 2021, the payment date for employees has been moved to September 29, 2021. Learn more
- New projects added to the Operational Excellence website: Three new continuous improvement projects have been added to the Operational Excellence website. Learn about the projects the team has taken on to make the VPFO more efficient.
Operations & Advising
Communications & Engagement, Human Resources, and Safety & Risk Services
- Aligning UBC guidelines to the new public health orders: The Provincial Health Officer (PHO) recently announced two new public health orders for Gatherings & Events and Student Residents to reflect the non-medical mask and proof of vaccination status mandate. Safety & Risk Services teams are updating UBC guidelines to align with the updated health orders.
- Understanding your audience: When you’re planning your communications, it’s important to think about what kinds of groups you might need to share information with. Learn how to identify and understand your audience on the VPFO Communications website.
- VPFO HR on-site support schedule: Due to increased safety measures, the VPFO HR team will be working from home on Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. For any questions, please contact Senior HR Manager, Arvind Kang.
- September 13: Daisy Chan, Kasia Burza
- September 14: WFH
- September 15: Rachel Lau
- September 16: WFH
- September 17: WFH
People in motion
Please join us in welcoming those who are joining us, celebrating promotions, and saying goodbye to team members who are moving on to their next steps.
- Bert Tempel is joining Project Services today as Project Coordinator (Mechanical).
- Anthony Boyce has been promoted to Head Metal Worker in Building Operations.
- Django Lehner has been promoted to People & Process Manager in Building Operations.
VPFO job openings
All positions at UBC are available on the UBC HR Careers website, or through the career application in your Workday account. The following VPFO positions are currently open:
- Director, Campus Security (JR3820) – closing Sep 16
- Procurement Partner Manager (JR4180) – closing Sep 23
- Lead Privacy & Information Security Advisor (JR2674) – closing Sep 28
Please remember to apply as an internal candidate. This ISC Knowledge Base article shows how: How do I apply for an internal job posting?.
Other notable updates
Getting ready for Canada’s new National Day of Truth & Reconciliation: What is the United Nations Declaration for the Recognition of Indigenous Peoples (UNDRIP)?
Part one of this series covered why the National Day for Truth and Reconciliation was established, how the Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada (TRC) was formed, and why their calls to action are important to all Canadians.
This week, we’ll explore:
- What is the United Nations Declaration for the Recognition of Indigenous Peoples (UNDRIP)?
- Canada and UNDRIP
- UNDRIP and UBC
- Learning about UNDRIP to help your reconciliation journey
Voting in Canada
On September 20, 2021, we go to the polls to elect our next federal government representatives and parties. The right to vote in Canada has evolved over time and for many marginalized groups voting was not a right until the nineteenth century.
In this EDI article, you’ll find resources about the history of voting in Canada and ways to navigate political conversations.
Optional All Staff Event Invite — Our next steps for return to campus
As we approach our planned October 4 deadline for VPFO staff to return to campus, this meeting will feature a short presentation on Wednesday, September 22, 2021 about our campus safety planning framework and current progress followed by a moderated Q&A to help answer your questions.
If you have already returned to campus, this meeting is optional, as you will already be working with the latest guidance.
- Recent messages from Professor Ono about the latest changes to COVID-19 public health guidance
- Message from Peter Smailes: Our next steps for return to campus
- VPFO all-staff town hall on July 15
Get matched with a language learning partner through UBC Tandem
The UBC tandem Language Learning Program is a free initiative designed to build community through additional language acquisition, foster intercultural communication, and enhance cross-cultural understanding on campus.
Improve your conversational fluency in a language through matching with a partner who speaks this language fluently.
Some interesting news articles team members have found informative, helpful, or fun! These are provided for information and entertainment only. Unless noted, UBC doesn’t specifically endorse or supply this content.
- CWL? IKB? Birdcoop? Walking onto campus can feel like you’ve been initiated into a secret organization full of made-up words and acronyms that sound like spells. Learn some of the top UBC terms.
- Struggling to get your point across in meetings? Try these 5 tips, available on FastCompany.
Have an article for the VPFO team? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.